Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Coonskin Cap

My litter sister Katie is a real gem. She’s spunky,

funny, generous, loving (here she is with her hubby Eric)and is the poster child for good self-esteem. I always remember Katie never being worried about what other people would think. Here's Katie and my dad when she was probably 7 or 8. If she liked it she wore it, did it, or said it. That’s just how she was and still is to this day, confident; a quality that tends to escape me now and then.

I remember one particular incident that that will forever remain in the family memory hall of fame. It was a hot summer day and little Katie had an appointment at the dentist office. Like me, she was a tom boy (notice the camo, shotgun, and dinner she scored)and on Sundays was forced to wear “Cinderella” dresses to church. But this day was not Sunday, therefore Katie wore the outfit of choice. And on this day Katie decided to round out her outfit with a coonskin cap. Who in their right mind gave her that cap, I can’t remember. But Katie liked it, therefore she wore it. My granddad was her chauffeur on that day so of course he let her go into the dentist office wearing that cap. The dentist still reminds us each time a family member visits the office of the day Katie wore the cap. He said it was all he could do to keep from laughing and work on her in that coonskin cap, with sweat pouring down her face. But, Katie liked the cap, and that was all that mattered to her. Like I said, Katie was, and still is a real gem!

And just for good measure, Katie, here are some photos I just could resist tagging onto this post!Love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment